Thursday, May 20, 2010

Pay it forward

A few weeks ago I posted a link to a facebook page for Project 50/50. I found the story inspiring and heartwarming. I believe it important to always keep your heart open to the people in this world and to help anyone you get the chance to. Its not always easy but if you keep an open-mind and positive attitude towards all those you meet, you can even surprise yourself.

"Happy Baby" by Theresa Mancuso

"After running my dogs in a remote field on the edge of brooklyn one summer night, I was putting them up in my van when I noticed a dark shadow scamper onto an abandoned hangar. I could just make out the dim visage of a small black pit bull staring back at me from behind a pillar. I called out, “Come on out, little one, it’s okay.” No response.

Procuring an extra dog dish, I brought her water, and began bringing her food and water every morning and every evening.

When there was sufficient distance between us, she would emerge from the shadows and eat and drink with one eye watching me.

A week had passed when a trooper told me that animal control had been called about the “dangerous stray pit bull.”

I came back the next morning, held my breath, said a prayer, and squatted low. “Come on, Baby. This is it.” She flew into my embrace. I removed the couple dozen swollen ticks that were embedded in her body, wiped her down with baby wipes, and put a collar and leash on her. Then I went to the main office. The trooper told me I was putting myself in grave danger. “She’s mine, Officer,” I told him, as she licked my face joyously. “I’m taking her home.” And off we went directly to my vet’s office.

Happy Baby was soon placed in a loving home with a family in Westchester."

Copy Write: Dog People Do It Better by Theresa Mancuso, 2005.

No comments:

Post a Comment