Wednesday, April 28, 2010

A Dog Named Woof by Marcy Rauch

I found these short stories that promote the idea that our dogs "teach us to love, laugh and loosen up" I couldn't agree more. Pets have this way to make you realize that life is worth enjoying. I will share some of the stories with you as I discover them.

A Dog Named Woof by Marcy Rauch:
"Woof was the kind of dog that comes along once in a lifetime. She took life head on with great determination. Woof was deaf, yet she shattered the boundaries of her silent world with what she could do. She learned agility at twelve years young and herded sheep for the first time at eleven. A quadriplegic from tick paralysis, Woof learned to stand again. When others missed a fallen biscuit, Woof saw it and with sheer determination, forced herself up to get it. She taught children that deaf dogs are special and brought tears to the eyes of one deaf child who felt alone in her plight. During her last year, confined to a wheelchair, Woof showed her mettle by hiking, swimming, and never giving in to defeat. She had a wheelchair race with a boy suffering from spina bifida. He won by a hair. In Woof's last outing, she shared what she had left with a young man suffering from cerebral palsy.
This is what legends are made of. People asked me how I kept her going so long. My answer was that as long as Woof was smiling, I would do whatever it took to keep her going. She stopped smiling one Sunday night. Two days later, with great sadness, I helped her leave the body that had given up on her. Woof and I were together for fifteen years. Sleep well, my friend. Your spirit and strength are in my heart forever."

No comments:

Post a Comment